So after having a crazy snickers craving over the past few weeks, I decided to create a healthier alternative, smoothie-style! For me, there is nothing nicer than the creaminess of milk chocolate and the nutty caramel combined in a snickers bar. As the weather starts to brighten up, it’s time to swap melting sweet treats for our ice-cold favourites! I know that these smoothie obviously contains a certain allergy…nuts! So check out some more of our recipes here for more delicious smoothies!
Bananas – packed with antioxidants and fibre, bananas might improve blood sugar levels. So, despite their high fibre content, you won’t see a spike in your blood sugar levels when eating bananas. The high potassium in bananas may also support heart health and help manage blood pressure.
Dates – as well as being high in fibre, this dried fruit is also high in disease-fighting antioxidants:
- Flavonoids– reduces inflammation as well as the risk of diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease and certain types of cancer.
- Carotenoids– promote heart health and reduce the risk of eye-related disorders.
- Phenolic acid– anti-inflammatory properties and might help lower the risk of cancer and heart disease.
Flaxseed – as one of the world’s oldest crops, it is packed with nutrients. Flaxseed is also high in omega-3 fatty acids which are important for heart health. The high fibre content in flaxseed is also vital for gut health and improves bowel regularity.
Walnuts – these nuts are packed with polyunsaturated fats (the ‘healthy’ fats) as well as also being high in omega-3 fatty acids which are good for brain and heart health. Research also suggests that walnuts can lower your cholesterol levels by keeping your artery walls healthy.
Snickers Style Smoothie
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 medium banana, chopped
- 3 dates, pitted
- 4 walnuts
- 1/2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 4 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1 serving unsweetened protein powder
- Optional ice cubes
We can’t wait to see how you adapt or re-create this recipe. Make sure to tag us @revitaliseyourlife_ryl on Instagram to have a chance to be featured on our page!
* The content within this article is for information purposes only and not in replace of professional or medical advice. It is provided with the understanding that Revitalise Your Life is not engaged in the supply or rendering of medical advice, consultation or services. Therefore, you understand and agree that Revitalise Your Life shall not be liable for any claim, loss or damage arising out of the use of or reliance upon any content or information within the article.